Tuesday, December 7, 2010

From Christmas Chaos To Blessed Contentment...

As we approach Christmas Day...I am forced to look at my gift lists, my wish lists and my grocery lists and I realize I am not prepared for this holiday. I freak out and stress every minute about all I have to do including address Christmas Cards that have been sitting on my desk for the past three weeks. This holiday is turning into a thorn in my side and I look forward to it being over. I have gifts to buy, cards to send, gifts for my child’s teachers, functions to go to, a turkey to make, potlucks to attend and no money for any of it......AHHHHHHHHHH! 

Whew...then I take a deep breath and remember why this holiday is taking place. After going to a little city in Texas and taking a walk in a recreated town named Bethlehem from over 2000 years ago, I realize that I have it all wrong. 

I walk through a wooden gate into this town to be welcomed by camels, donkeys and plenty of sheep and am quickly approached by a woman saying, "Shalom" and asking me if I would like to buy a chicken. I hear her story of how she has no money to pay for her taxes and Caesar is making her sell everything she owns...including pets and her only source of food. I tell her I'm sorry and walk on to be greeted by another woman trying to sell fabrics. I ask her how business is and she tells me she's selling and can't complain but to please not speak of it or Caesar will take everything she owns away. I started to feel pain and fear for these women and quickly forgot my own. I walk in and out of stone houses and shops only to see smiling faces of people young and old and welcoming me with a warm, "Shalom, please come into my home." Believe me, I'm without delusions. I realize now that these folks were actors portraying the little town of Bethlehem but, I have truly forgotten that while walking through. I look up and see a bright star shining off to the east of the town and follow its beauty. 

I am led to a bright cave where I see a beautiful young woman in the arms of her loving husband and together they hold a chubby cheek little cherub. Their love eluminates almost as bright as the star in the sky above them. I look at this child that is to symbolize my newborn savior, Jesus Christ and I start to cry. This sight before me has put all my holiday woes to rest and I am immediately filled with praise. Christmas is not a time to stress over who gets what gift or who didn't receive a Christmas card. 
Christmas is the celebration that we are here because HE was born! 

With my heart filled with the spirit of Christmas and the spirit of our Lord, I wish you all the most blessed year and pray that an even better year comes your way. You are all my brothers and sisters and I thank you for your friendship and love.




I wish you a Merry Christmas...
Con Molto Amore,
Paiger 

0 comments:

Post a Comment